Thoughts

Monday, August 1, 2011

i'll take a perfect manhattan please...

Can we actually "know" the universe? 
My God, it's hard enough finding your way around in Chinatown. 
- Woody Allen



This may be the heavy doses of Mad Men, Sex and the City and Gossip Girl - but there is no place like New York City. Nothing as worthwhile or as maddeningly beautiful. I cannot imagine being single and in my twenties anywhere else in the world. Carrie Bradshaw was right when she dubbed the city her "one true love". There is never a reason to feel bored or alone when in most cases the city will take care of you.  It is hard for me to pen exactly what it is I love about New York City so much, it is like trying to explain how I interpret the color blue. It just is. 

I love it most when I am...
1. Leaning out my bedroom window enjoying a morning breeze and suddenly hear someone start singing opera across the way.
2. Out and about running errands and cross paths with my mailman who simply says "Hello, 4E".
3. Beginning or ending a date at 59th Street - right in front of the Time Warner Center and Central Park.
4. Found in conversation with someone randomly online at the supermarket and learn we have mutual friends working in the same Broadway show.
5. Visiting the little 24/7 deli around the corner from my apartment. Where back in August 2010, the owner (David) asked - "What is your name?" and greets me like an old friend for the past year.

This is a city of gypsies - we all have traveler blood in our veins. Our small studio apartments caravans that we will stay in for a year or less never more, before roaming about again. All our possessions condensed into a few small boxes, a metro card in hand and some loose change is all we need for adventure. I love this city where the autonomy is solidarity and our uniqueness is our oneness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment