Thoughts

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Days of Summer...

   This has been quite a wash-out week. I headed home to spend some time with my parents before the start of my summer class and instead of relaxing outside and catching up on my non-school related reading, I spent most of it inside cooking or crafting with my mom (two of our favorite mother/daughter past times). I think she always wants to cook with me so as to instill within me basic "kitchen survival techniques" :)

In other news, on Tuesday, one of my best friends and I decided to finally see the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I had previously posted about my desire to see it, and it was truly a magnificent display. I can barely sum up in words the genius of his creations. Each room was a fully developed level of his psyche and when it suddenly ended and you were cast out again into the bright lights of the museum, you couldn't help but internalize the parallel of how abruptly his life ended.

I have decided to include a few images of the pieces that truly fascinated and astounded me. Alexander McQueen was a powerful creative force and the world is slightly less beautiful without him in it.



The dress on the left is made using glass medical slides painted red, while the dress on the right is made entirely of shells.



The dress on the top was truly a work of art, the fabric used was a nylon like that of hosiery, but the movement it was capable of was beautiful, the dress on the bottom is made of gilded duck feathers and made me question why I had never watched it glide down a red carpet.


The dress on the top was actually "created"on the run way - it began as a solid white dress that was then sprayed yellow and black by machines in front of the audience, the end result was unique and the showmanship of it was spectacular. The outfit on the bottom was from McQueen's final collection Plato's Atlantis, the shoes are beyond words, and are entirely covered with Aurora Borealis crystals - the mannequins used for the display seemed larger than life.



On the top is the famous "horse dress" the entire skirt is made of horse hair and was presented on the runway as a chess piece on a board. The bodice is sculpted leather and is a beautiful lavender hue in person. The dress on the bottom is dreamy and royal inspired, the purse and slippers are beaded to match, and the purse is inspired by a faberge egg.






The gown on the top is made entirely of real and silk flowers, as it was quoted in the display, McQueen used real flowers "because they die" it was to play on the darkly romantic theme he was cultivating of juxtaposing life and death, beauty and decay. On the bottom, one of McQueen's Asian inspired ensembles, the stitching and embroidery on this kimono inspired jacket and hat were surreal - perfection in each seam and stitch. The hat featured amaranthus flowers which stems from the Greek word for "unfading" or immortal  - the effect was exquisite.


If you have the ability to see the exhibit for yourself I would highly recommend it, I myself want to go back for a second or third viewing. It is hauntingly beautiful and honored McQueen in a moving and very intimate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment